A new Communication Department teaching lab, video editing bays and UTC TV Studio lobby are all under construction in the Metro Annex building.
“We are thrilled to have this brand new space,” Professor Mike Andrews, communication instructor and TV Studio manager, said. “The entire campus can benefit from this project.”
A new Communication Department lab takes shape from three old offices and a conference room near the UTC TV Studio.
Crews began in the summer by demolishing the east side of the building that previously housed Student Health Services. A new entrance on the Oak Street side will lead in to the TV studio and areas.
The work is expected to be complete later this fall or early in the spring 2013 term.
Welcome to UTC. Whether you are a returning student, a new communication major or minor, or a freshman, we are glad you are here. Please don’t hesitate to contact your departmental adviser (listed on your my Mocs Degree) or me if you have any questions or concerns.
Have a great 2012-2013 school year!
Spring internship applications are due Tuesday, Feb. 14, 4 p.m. In Frist 309.
Applicants must have:
- completed COMM 2300, 2310, and 3200;
- completed or be enrolled in 24-27 hours in Communication courses;
- completed or be enrolled in COMM 4200 or 4510;
- completed or be enrolled in at least two upper level Communication skills courses (skills courses include COMM 3330, 3350, 3370, 3400, 3450, 3500, 3610, 3630, 3660, some 4000 courses, 4100, 4450, 4550 and 4700); and
- a minimum overall 2.0 GPA and a 2.0 GPA in Communication.
ALL applicants must submit statement of 300 words or more on his or her philosophy on media and/or professional ethics.
Portfolio booklets and sample portfolios are available in Frist 309.
For more details on internship application requirements, click HERE.
Students who started receiving the Tennessee HOPE scholarship in the fall of 2009 AND AFTER may qualify for up to $2,000 in Tennessee lottery scholarship for the summer terms.
- A student must be enrolled in at least six credit hours of summer classes to qualify for the summer HOPE scholarship.
- For example, if a student is only enrolled in three credit hours, he or she would not qualify for summer aid
- If a student is taking less than 12 credit hours in the summer, the amount of HOPE received will be prorated.
- For example, a student enrolled in 9 credit hours may be eligible to receive up to $1,500 in HOPE scholarship for the summer term.
- Students should register for summer classes as planned and the Financial Aid office will notify students of the aid award for those who qualify.
There are specific qualifications and rules to receiving and maintaining the Tennessee HOPE scholarship. Students should refer to the Financial Aid website to stay up to date on any changes in the upcoming semester.
For more information contact the Financial Aid Office at (423) 425-4677 or visit the Tennessee Lottery Scholarship website at http://www.tn.gov/CollegePays/mon_college/lottery_scholars.htm.
The LAST group advising session is this Friday, Nov. 4, 8 a.m. to noon in Frist Hall. Communication Department faculty members will be in their offices and will be available for one-on-one advising on a first come, first served basis. Students may meet with any of them, no appointment necessary. Students are required to bring their CAPP sheet and a tentative schedule.
Communication majors are required to see an adviser before they receive a PIN number to register. If a student cannot attend group advising, he or she must schedule an individual appointment with their faculty adviser by email or sign up on the faculty member’s office door.
Priority registration for currently enrolled students begins Nov. 7.
The Center for Advisement and Student Success will advise all freshmen communication majors. For more information, contact Lisa-Michelle Brower at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 423-425-4573.