P.A.W.S. Mentoring Program

By Reginald Owens

Participants in the P.A.W.S. program.

Participants in the P.A.W.S. program.

CHATTANOOGA(UTC)—  At First Christian Church UTC students mentor elementary school students from the neighboring school Brown Academy for the P.A.W.S. mentoring program. With a catchy acronym, the program is sure to be a success:

• P- Positive
  • A- Action
  • W- With
  • S- Success

“P.A.W.S. means Positive Action With Success. It’s a mentoring program. We’re here to teach the kids about college. Being so close to campus, that is exactly what we want to do. We want to, at this early age- 4th and 5th graders, we want to let them know that you can go to college and want to get that in their heads right now,” P.A.W.S. director Wendy Yates said.

UTC’s Phil Odem explains the impact a college degree can have.

“A college graduate, in their life time will earn on average $1 million more than a non-college graduate,” Odem said.

“Knowing that I’m getting ready to go to college, its help them to prepare themselves,” parent T.J. Doyle said.

Volunteers help kids through the P.A.W.S. program.

Volunteers express their feelings about the program.

“I volunteered because I love children and I think it’s a great program to interact with the kids and it’s a great way to give back to the community and I love it,” volunteer Poscha Boyd said.

P.A.W.S. volunteer Whitney Wyatt said, “I really like to help them and see what they get out of it, the success rate that comes from programs like this.”

Children are excited to come back to the program this year.

“ I got to meet new people that were in college and learn more about college.”

To find out more about Brown Academy, click here.   Also, UTC’s website lists other developmental programs on their informative website here. 

Vice Chancellor Richard Brown presented a plaque to the First Christian church, showing appreciation for their

partnership. See a behind the scenes look at the P.A.W.S. Mentoring program in the video below.  

Speak Your Mind

*