Peer Into the Future with “9″

By: Christine Sumner (The Loop/AP)

Imagine with me, opening your eyes for the first time to find yourself surrounded by destruction and not even know who you are. This is the world that director, Shane Acker, brings to life in his first full length animated film “9”.

• Opened: September 9, 2009
  • Running time: 1 hour 19 minutes
  • Rating: PG-13 (violence and scary images)
  • Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci/Fantasy
  • Showtimes: fandango.com

“9″ takes the viewer to a future where man and machine have destroyed the world. Powered by The Great Machine, machines turned on human kind until only the machines remained. This is when 9 (voiced by Ellijah Woods) awakes and finds himself alone, or so he thinks.

By a chance encounter, 9 discovers that there are others like him. All of them made from the same burlap sack, with the same big camera lens-like eyes. Each a slightly different design and with a different number stitched on their back.  9 is shown to have true leadership skills and inspires the rest of the “stitchpunk” creations to fight back for survival. Faced with an enemy far greater than they are, they must conjure new individual strength to save their world.

“9″ is a visually beautiful tale of leadership, community, and how one person can impact the lives of others. The animation and the creativity of the characters, both machine and “stitchpunk”, were my favorite part of the movie. The detail, down to the stitch of burlap sack, was very impressive. The director used lighting amazingly to emphasis the flow of the story.

The movie “9″ is the full length expansion of a 2004 Academy Award nominated short film of the same name. It got the attention of directors Tim Burton (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride) and Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) who produced the epic movie.  Some people were under the impression that Tim Burton was the director but he was only the producer.

“I felt like the movie was missing something,” said UTC student, Lindsey Woodburn. But not all shared Woodburn’s opinion. Student Tim Miller had a different perspective. “The animation was really impressive and I thoroughly enjoyed it,” said Miller. “It was nice to see an animated movie with a darker side instead of the lighter ones that are so popular these days.”

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. The action kept me holding my breath and the animation was breath taking. I would not recommend younger audiences to see this movie because it’s rated PG-13 for a reason. Some of the images are intense for an animated film. Regarding “9″, my biggest complaint was that it ended too soon. I’d recommend anyone to go see this film. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it.

Since it’s a good idea to see this movie, I give it 3 out of 4 light bulbs.

If you saw the movie, I’d love to hear what you thought. So send your thoughts my way.

Speak Your Mind

*