Why Fall Break Left Some Students Stressed

By: Mary Smith

Mary-Smith@Mocs.UTC.edu

With fall break officially over, some students are feeling more stressed out. Read more to find out why.

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (UTC/TheLoop) –With midterms finally out of the way, students were able to attempt to take a break from the stress of college life and relax during fall break.

Photograph taken by Aimee Irwin

Student Aimee Irwin and Macal Sheree enjoy a trip to the boardwalk in San Diego

Long distance travels can often times be stressful or leave travelers feeling rushed. This was not the case for UTC senior Aimee Irwin. Irwin, a senior from Dickson, Tenn., journeyed to Temecula, California to visit a childhood friend. “The best part of my trip was just being at my friend’s house; it was really relaxing.” During her trip to Temecula, Irwin enjoyed visiting Huntington Beach, a pumpkin patch, and carving pumpkins. “It was good cause there were no expectations; I got to relax and didn’t have to do anything.”

Rachel Hawkins, a sophomore from Knoxville, Tenn., traveled with a family member to Brooklyn, New York, to visit her brother. Hawkins spent her vacation shopping, touring Times Square, and spending quality time with her family. Hawkins said, “Whenever I go home I feel like I have to hang out with my friends; this time I got to hang out with my mom and my brother.” Hawkins said the vacation was very different than the other times she had visited New York because they did not visit many tourist attractions. “I just feel like it was so chill, and I didn’t have a tight schedule.”

Plane Ticket

Hawkins awaiting her departure to New York.

Surprisingly, most students who stayed in Chattanooga or who went home said they did not come back to school feeling refreshed. Time restraints and other responsibilities kept most students either in Chattanooga or homeward bound. Kate Marler, a senior from Chattanooga, spent her vacation planning her December wedding, working, and celebrating her upcoming wedding. “I had a lingerie shower and a bridal shower,” said Marler. Although her weekend was full of wedding bliss, Marler said she did not return to school feeling rejuvenated.

Vikki Hampstead, a junior from Chattanooga, used the break to study and work. When asked if she felt relaxed after the break Hampstead replied, “absolutely not.” When asked if professors gave too much work over the weekend Hampstead said, “Instead of letting it be a break, professors make it a point to make tests due that week.” She said the best part of her vacation was getting to sleep in on Monday and Tuesday.

Many students who traveled to other places than home were able to experience a temporary breach from reality. Hawkins said, “I feel like it was so much better to not go home.” Responsibilities and reminders of other priorities surrounded the students who went home or stayed on campus.

Fortunately for students who are still stressed, another opportunity to go on an adventure is lurking around the corner. Winter break is rapidly approaching as this semester comes to a close, and there will be time for yet another voyage.

Photo Taken From FreeFoto.com

It's almost time for another vacation. Bon Voyage!

Comments

1. Definitely improves productivity if you can get away for a while (preferably abroad) and relax!

Speak Your Mind

*