UT President Reacts to UTC Chancellor’s Retirement

Update June 8 3:30pm

University leaders are reacting to news that UTC Chancellor Roger Brown has decided to retire.

Here is the release from UT President Joe DiPietro:

After a successful career in higher education including a dynamic and productive seven years at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chancellor Roger Brown informed me earlier today of his plans to retire.

I have enjoyed working with him since 2006, when he and I both were chancellors. As chancellor, Roger has done an excellent job leading UT Chattanooga and ensuring its success in fulfilling a mission that is vital to the city, the region, and the state.

He is a proud UT alumnus, and his rapport with the community has established a solid foundation for future opportunities. I know community leadership will join us – both in reluctance to see him go and in wishing Roger the very best going forward.

June 8 1:30pm

Here is the information released by email to UTC staff Friday afternoon:

Dear Campus Colleagues,

As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.

And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.

It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.

With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.

Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro’s wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.

I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.

In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.

I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.

We shall achieve!

Sincerely,

Roger Brown

Speak Your Mind

*