In the spirit of the holidays and drawing inspiration from Charles Dickens’ classic, A Christmas Carol, we’ve been digging in the University Archives to come up with the ghosts of Lupton Library.

Ghost of Library Past

Did you know that the library was previously housed in Fletcher Hall?

Ghost of Library Present

Lupton Library opened it’s doors to students in 1974. The 1974 Moccasin even featured an ode to the growing campus:

U.T.C.’s expanding campus continues to grow,
we watched the library, energy facility,
student center and student housing rise
all in the midst of tons of mud and dirt
…pedestrian detours
…whistling construction workers
…and the never ending search for a parking space.

Sound familiar?

Since 1974 UTC has increased enrollment by over two-thirds, growing from a count of approximately 4,574 to 9,553 students in 2007, making Fall 2014 the perfect time to move in to a new space.

Ghost of Library Yet to Come

Unlike Scrooge, we’ve got nothing to fear! Read up on the New Library.

Sources

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga photographs. Special Collections & University Archives, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Moccasin. Chattanooga, Tenn: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 1900.

Tagged with:
Archives