Meet Natalie Bennett, Online Services Librarian! Natalie joined the UTC Library in 2014, and has graciously answered a few questions to help the UTC community get to know her better. Before we jump into the questions, here’s some background information you should know:
Natalie hails from all around Upstate New York. She received her BA in Theatre and Master’s of Library Science from the University of Buffalo. Prior to coming to UTC, she was working as the Outreach Librarian at Niagara University.
And now, the interview:
1. Which Golden Girl are you & why?
I am not qualified to answer this question, sorry. I couldn’t name all the characters, even if you gave me a million bucks. I know I am extremely lacking in this particular pop culture reference- it’s on my list of things to maybe catch up on, someday! My bad.
2. What do you want UTC Faculty, Staff and Students to know about the Reference and Instruction department of the library?
I want folks to know that we are always here to help! I am part of a great team of people charged with making sure that everyone not only knows what resources are available, but we also teach the skills necessary for academic research. Feel free to stop by the library’s information desk on the second floor with all your research questions.
3. Who are some of your favorite writers?
Ahh…this is a loaded question! I always can come back to David Sedaris, but lately I’ve been reading other comedic autobiographies from Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. I guess I like funny books. Right now, anyway.
4. Favorite thing about Chattanooga?
All the rock climbing! I love it here.
5. Which would you rather be: an expert cartwheeler or the best double-dutchist in the land?
Double-dutch, hands down. I’ve always wanted to be better at that!
6. Is there an old-timey phrase or expression that you wish would experience a resurgence in everyday usage?
Definitely wouldn’t mind if people used “the bees’ knees” more often.
7. Who is your fictional character hero?
Thor. I don’t think that this needs more explanation.
8. Breakfast preference?
Waffles for sure. But my favorite breakfast is 2 eggs over-easy, with a side of wheat toast. Breakfast is definitely the best meal of the day.
9. Favorite guilty pleasure?
Not sure I should admit to this, but every now and then I just eat cookies for dinner. No regrets.
10. Describe your perfect weekend.
Waking up early and getting out climbing all weekend. Honestly, it wouldn’t matter where- just as long as the temps are good and the rocks are dry. Get me outside and I’m happy!
Next time you see Natalie at the Information Desk, stop by to say hi!
Meet Emily Thompson, Studio Librarian! Emily joined the UTC Library in December, just in time to help move to a new library and set up a brand new Studio for our campus to enjoy! Emily has graciously answered a few questions to help the UTC community get to know her. Before we jump into the questions, here’s some background information you should know:
Originally from Montana, Emily got her BA in Theatre from Drake University. After spending several years working as a costume designer and director, she moved to South Korea to teach English. She then moved to Taiwan before heading to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor to get her MSI in Library and Information Services. Before coming to UTC, Emily was the Learning Technologies Librarian at the State University of New York at Oswego.
And now, the questions!
1. What do you want UTC faculty, staff and students to know about the Studio?
That the Studio exists and we’re open for anyone from UTC to come and learn cool stuff.
2. Which would you rather be: an expert cartwheeler or the best double-dutchist in the land?
Cartwheeler. I figure that’s one step closer to back flips.
3. What’s your favorite reading genre?
I tend to like anything that has built a complete alternate world. This can be anything from fantasy to dystopia. And travel memoirs.
4. Do you prefer to write with a pen or a keyboard?
I remember things better if I write with a pen. I got a nifty one for Christmas that talks to an app through Bluetooth though, so now I never lose my notes.
5. What have you been most excited about in the 6 months?
Recording in the Audio Suite. It’s a perfect, quiet world in there.
6. Which Golden Girl are you (& why)?
Rose. I tend to run overly cheerful and usually have a long, drawn out story to go with my explanations.
7. Who is your fictional character hero?
8. Is there an old-timey phrase or expression that you wish would experience a resurgence in everyday usage?
The cat’s pajamas. Jeff and I are working on this together.
9. Any childhood toys that you would still play with today?
Anyone who’s seen my office knows that it’s covered in crayon drawings.
10. Favorite breakfast food?
My mom’s popovers with butter and honey.
You’re invited to drop by the Studio sometime to say hi to Emily!