Two scholarships bearing the Decosimo name were recently established in the College of Business to reward and recognize outstanding accounting students. These student scholarship awards are among the largest provided in the College of Business.
The children of Rachel and Joe Decosimo established the Decosimo Family Scholarship and partners at Joseph Decosimo and Company, PLLC, funded Decosimo & Company Awards in Accounting Excellence. Awards will be presented to accounting students at the undergraduate or graduate level who exhibit specific skills, including:
- Technical skill in accounting, finance and business
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Proficiency with modern technologies
- Ability to recognize problems and opportunities
- Ability to analyze data and possess proficiency in the use of data
- Potential to be a leader
- An understanding of the role of cultural diversity
- An appreciation of how ethical considerations enter into business decisions
- Membership in Beta Alpha Psi–an additional requirement for the Decosimo & Company Award. Beta Alpha Psi is the accounting honors society. Members of Beta Alpha Psi must maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 and be active members of the community and campus. They are required to tutor accounting students, attend professional meetings, participate in community service projects, and make contributions to the Beta Alpha Psi national chapter’s regional activities.
“The family wanted to first, honor our parents. Second, we want to provide an opportunity for bright young students to have a career in accounting. We find it very rewarding to do that,” said Fred Decosimo, Principal of Joseph Decosimo and Company, PLLC.
The gift provided for the endowment of the Decosimo & Company Awards in Accounting Excellence is being made to recognize what the community in general, and UTC in particular, has meant to the firm over the years.
“We hire a significant number of graduates and interns from UTC and we have always believed in supporting UTC,” said Nick Decosimo, Managing Principal of Joseph Decosimo and Company. “My father has set the example.”
The Decosimo family.