The University’s COVID-19 program includes self-screenings, testing of students and employees with symptoms and close contacts and contact tracing.
All students—campus residents and commuters—should complete the student self check before leaving their residence and going to class each day.
Faculty and staff should complete the employee self check every day before coming to campus.
Public health officials use contact tracing to help prevent the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19. The University is working with the Hamilton County Health Department to perform contact tracing.
Contact tracers interview individuals who test positive for the illness and who have been in direct contact with someone who tested positive. The goal of contact tracing is to learn where these individuals have recently been, who he or she has been in contact with and working to interrupt disease transmission. For COVID-19, this process includes directing those with the virus to isolate and their close contacts to quarantine at home. The contact tracing team also monitors a student’s or employee’s situation, helps connect them to support resources and provides guidance.
If students, faculty or staff have been in close contact with someone with symptoms or who has been diagnosed with COVID-19:
- Do not report to campus.
- Seek guidance from your primary health care provider or the Hamilton County Health Department.
- Submit the .COVID-19 Notification Form
- Await further instruction. Campus offices involved in monitoring students include the UTC Contact Tracing Team, the Office of Student Outreach and Support, and Housing and Residence Life (if the student is an on-campus resident).
UTC COVID-19 testing complies with recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the American College Health Association, the State of Tennessee, the UT System Task Force on COVID-19 and the UTC Fall 2020 Task Force.
University Health Services will offer testing for students and employees with symptoms and those who are close contacts of someone with COVID-19.
While awaiting COVID-19 test results, students and employees should isolate and avoid close contact with others. They should also promptly respond to any communication from the University’s contact tracing team.
Upon receiving test results, students and employees should follow guidance from the UTC COVID-19 Campus Support Team and their health care providers about when they are no longer required to isolate or quarantine.
- The University will provide access to testing for students and employees who symptomatic and who are close contacts of someone with COVID-19.
- Students and employees are asked to respond promptly to communications from the University’s contact tracing team.
- Daily temperature checks and health self-screening are required for students and employees.