If you are experiencing problems with your Cable TV service, it may be something you can resolve yourself in just minutes. Here are some tips for the most common user related issues.
If you have a digital TV not connected to a cable receiver, it is important to auto program your TV to ensure you are viewing all the available analog and digital channels. Exact details on how to auto program or auto tune digital TVs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. These instructions are generalizations that are meant to describe the way most TVs accomplish this feature. For best results, refer to the owner’s manual for the specific TV you are working with. Most TVs will take between 20-45 minutes to complete this function.
Using the TV’s remote control, follow these general steps:
Step 1: Press the “Power” button to turn on the TV
Step 2: Press the “Menu” Button
Step 3: Select “Set-Up”
Step 4: Select “Antenna” then “Cable”
Step 5: Select “Auto Program/Auto Tune” then “OK”
If you have an older analog television, your television cannot receive the signal without use of a Clear QAM tuner digital-to-analog converter box.
Where do I get a digital-to-analog converter box?
Residence Hall Students: You may purchase a Clear QAM tuner digital-to-analog converter box anywhere that you shop for electronics. These boxes vary in price from $40.00 to $100.00. We recommend IVIEW-3500STBII. Once purchased and received follow these steps:
- Plug coax cable from the wall to the input side of the cable box.
- Next connect either hdmi, red white yellow, or coax from box to TV.
- Turn on TV and select the corresponding input.
- Turn on the cable box and exit out of the start up menu
- Press menu on the remote for the cable box and tab over to channels. Once there change “air” to “cable”.
- Then hit auto scan and wait until channel scanning is complete.
If issues with the plug in the wall affects the TV then contact Client Services. Tell them your issue, brand and model of the TV along with what days and times you are free. We then will try to schedule times through email we can come out to fix your TV issues. (Weekdays after 10 AM)
On a digital cable television system, the “physical” channel numbers have decimals or dashes. However, some systems are designed to also provide “virtual” channel numbers (VCNs) that present the channel as a digit whole number. Unfortunately, different model digital TVs have different types of channel tuners and not all tuners can pick up the VCNs.
If you have a digital HDTV that will not recognize the whole number virtual channel after a channel scan, be sure to check the settings in the set-up menu – including setting the clock if your TV has one. If this does not work, your TV tuner is probably not capable of presenting the virtual channels and you have the following options:
- Do nothing and use the physical channel numbers.
- Purchase a newer model HDTV with a Clear QAM tuner that you know can recognize whole number virtual channels.
- Residence Hall Students: Purchase a digital-to-analog converter box with a Clear QAM tuner that will recognize the VCNs or you may use one of the following TiVo units: Series 2 (single tuner), Series 3, TiVo HD DVR or the Premier. The cable TV system is not compatible with the newest TiVo model line known as Roamio.
Common TV Questions
Most television sets have settings to enable reception from either an Off-Air Antenna or from Cable service. The campus cable system requires your television to be set to “Cable” (or “CATV”, “CATV – IRC”). If your television is set to “Off-Air” (or “Antenna”) you must change this setting to enable reception of all cable channels. This setting may be changed either by moving a switch or by following menu prompts for set-up. Refer to your owner’s manual for more details. You will need to reprogram/scan your TV once you make the change. See section “How do I program my digital TV to receive all University channels”.
No picture on one or all channels, no color, buzzing sounds, dark or rolling pictures, stations on wrong channel, vertical bars, snowy pictures, etc. Typically these types of problems can be a result of a system wide issue, in-room cabling issue, the television and/or connected devices to the television.
First, check to see if a neighbor in another room is experiencing the same problem. If not, if possible, try to connect your television to another outlet where another television is not experiencing a problem. If a neighbor is experiencing the same problem or the problem is associated with your outlet, please contact Client Services.
Second, disconnect any other devices attached to your television, such as digital receivers, VCRs, Xboxes, etc. so that the coaxial cable is connected directly from the television to the outlet. If this addresses the problem, then reconnect the devices in an attempt to isolate the device creating the problem. If you have a VCR, make sure the VCR and the television are both set to the same channel – 3 or 4.
Last, adjust the fine-tuning settings on your television. Check your television’s user guide for more information.
Dark picture? Slowly adjust your TV’s brightness and/or contrast control.
Rolling picture? Slowly adjust your TV’s vertical hold.
Picture leans to side? Try adjusting the “horizontal hold” on your TV.
Can’t tune in desired channel? Determine if you are able to tune the channel using the tuning buttons on the digital receiver or VCR. If so, the problem is likely your remote control. Make sure the channel is not restricted by the parental control feature or check your channel lineup to verify channel availability.
The cable TV system is compatible with all TiVo units with the exception to the newest model line known as Roamio.
How do I Program My TiVo?
The following are programming instructions for TiVo units Series 3, TiVo HD DVR and Premier.
Please note: Series 2 (single tuner) and TiVo Romio (all models) do not have clear QAM tuners and cannot be used with the school’s cable network.
Depending on your school’s channel lineup, you may experience problems with the channel guide lining up correctly on your TiVo device. This will affect your ability to program your TiVo to record future programming.
Guided Setup for All Channels
- With TiVo unit powered “on” remove the Cable Card from the TiVo unit if available
- Press the “TiVo” button on the remote and arrow down to the “Read New Messages and Settings” tab, highlight and press “select”
- Arrow down to “Restart or Reset Setup” highlight and press “select”
- Arrow down to “Repeat Guided Setup” highlight and press “select”
- You will now receive a “Warning” and must press the thumbs down button “3 times”, then the “ENTER” button (not the select button)
- Now you will enter your five digit zip code, now press “select”
- Arrow down to “cable only”, highlight and press “select”
- You will receive a message “Cable Card”, arrow down to “continue” and press “select”
- Now you will set up your internet connection, choose internet or telephone (depending on your format) then press “select”
- Input your settings based upon your selection of the previous step
- “You will now connect to TIVO” press “select”
- After loading is complete, press “select”
- “Cable Provider” arrow down to your school, and press “select”
- “Premiums” arrow to “no” and press “select”
- “Your channels are now setup” press “select”
- “Network Connections” press select to “start”
- When download is complete, press “select”
- “Program Info Received” press “select”
- You will now receive a “Congratulations” message, press the “TiVo” button to resume normal function
Tuning Missing Digital /HD Channels
- Press the “TiVo” button on the remote
- Arrow to “Read New Messages and Settings” press “select”
- Arrow to “Settings” and press “select”
- Arrow to “Channels Select” and press “select”
- Arrow to “Channel Scan” and press “select”
- “Channel Scanning” Arrow to “Scan for Channels” and press “select”
- You will now receive a “warning” highlight “OK” and press “select”. (This step will take approximately 15-20 Min to complete)
- Once completed press “select”
- Arrow to “Add New Channel to Channel List” press “select”
- Arrow to “channel List” press “select”
- Arrow down through the list pressing “select” on all grayed out channels turning them yellow with a check mark. Go to the bottom of the list ensuring you have checked all grayed out channels
- Arrow to the right to “Done” and press “select”
- Now press the LIVE TV button. You have finished the programming process
Television signals may be viewed on your computer by using a special PC TV card with a Clear QAM. Refer to the equipment manufacturer’s manual for installation details. Be aware that performance and quality vary according to the equipment used.
Here is an informal compatibility reference for newer devices. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information. You should verify the specifications when you purchase your TV.