I don’t have a smart phone. How do I use Duo?
- Contact the Helpdesk at 423-425-4000 to request further assistance and/or inquire about additional options with Duo.
How Do I Change Settings or Enroll Another Device?
- Go to UT Password Management page and choose Manage Two-Factor Authentication. Log in with your UTC ID and password and authenticate with two-factor. Once you are in, you can Add, Modify, or Delete a Device and change your default preference.
I have a new phone or I never received a QR code. How do I reactivate Duo?
- Go to 2fa.utk.edu/restore, log in with your UTC ID and password, and follow the instructions on the screen.
What Devices are supported by Duo and can I set up more than one device?
- Devices supported by Duo include the following:
- During enrollment, you may see more device options, however UTC does not currently support any other device except for what is listed above.
- Yes, you can set up more than one device. Go to UT Password Management page and choose Manage Two-Factor Authentication. Log in with your UTC ID and password and authenticate with two-factor. Once you are in, you can Add, Modify, or Delete a Device and change your default preference.
How much data does a Duo Push use?
- Almost none. 500 pushes to your device will use 1 MB of data in total. This is roughly equivalent to loading one webpage on your smartphone.
Does installing the Duo Mobile app collect data or give up control of my phone?
- No. Duo Mobile has no access to change settings on your phone. Duo Mobile cannot read your emails, it cannot see your browser history, and it requires your permission to send you notifications. Lastly, Duo Mobile cannot remotely wipe your phone.
The only information Duo Mobile collects is for the purpose of verifying the security of your device. Collected data includes your OS version, device encryption status, and screen lock. Duo uses this information to help recommend security improvements to your device and you are always in control of whether or not you take action on these recommendations.
Why does the Duo Mobile app need to access my camera?
- Duo Mobile only accesses your camera when scanning a QR code during activation.
What if I get a notification from Duo that I did not request?
- Use the “Deny” option if you did not initiate the request. UTC IT Security will investigate.
What if I don’t have a Wi-Fi connection or cellular reception? (This includes international travel)
- No problem. Tap the ˅ icon in the Duo Mobile app to generate an authentication passcode. You do not need an internet connection or a cellular signal to generate these passcodes.
What if my push alerts aren’t coming through?
- Try these easy troubleshooting steps for iOS and Android.
Still not working? Reactivate Duo Mobile or contact the UTC IT Helpdesk.
I left my phone at home and can’t log in. What should I do?
- You have two options: 1) Return home and get your phone or 2) Contact the UTC Helpdesk at 423-425-4000 for a temporary code.Note that option 2 is only available Monday – Friday 8 am EST to 5:00 pm EST. From 6:00 am to 7:30 am and 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm, the Helpdesk at UTK is available to assist in getting a temporary code. They can be reached at 865.974.9900 and are open 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The Helpdesk will need to verify your identity before providing a code.
Who will be required to use two-factor?
- Anyone with a UTC ID and password, including faculty, staff, students, retirees, visiting scholars, contractors, and departmental accounts will be required to use two-factor for their O365 environment.
Duo Known Issues
|You are not notified that you have a pending approval.||Enable Notification for the Duo App.|
|Notifications to Apple Watch works sometimes and sometimes not, or delayed||See the DUO guide about Apple Watches for troubleshooting.|
|Setup fails because your camera cannot capture the QR code.||Allow the Duo app to access your camera during setup (can be disabled once setup is complete).|
|Cannot select “Remember me for 7 days” because Duo automatically pushes the notification.||Cancel the request, check the box, and push a second notification.|
|Remember Me for 7 days option not working.||Google Chrome: Enable the following option: Settings > Advanced > Content Settings > Cookies > Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended). In the same area in Chrome, be sure to disable the following option: Keep local data only until you quit your browser.
Firefox: Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Set Keep until to “They Expire”
|‘Choose an Authentication Method’ box on the Duo login screen is cut off.||Set your browser’s Zoom viewing setting to 100%.
Clear cache and cookies.
|Duo login screen blocked or buttons missing
|Add *.duosecurity.com to your whitelist
Firefox 63, disable Content Blocking.