A lot has happened at UTC this year (like every other year, to be honest). The largest philanthropic gift in school history. President Trump holding a rally in McKenzie Arena. Former Moc football star Terrell Owens coming home for a special event honoring his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Rocket Mocs team being ranked No. 1 in the country.
But there was much more, so here is a list of the Top 10 most-read stories on the UTC website for 2018.
- Largest private gift in University of Tennessee at Chattanooga history
The largest philanthropic gift in the history of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga — $40 million — has been made to the University’s College of Business by Gary W. Rollins and Kathleen Rollins of Atlanta.
- Lupton Library getting ready for complete renovation
Lupton Library, opened at UTC in 1974, is set to be renovated and begin its next life as a much-needed academic building with a new name, Lupton Hall.
- Largest freshman class in school history enrolled for fall semester
Unofficial numbers showed 2,250 freshmen enrolled for fall semester 2018, an increase of 139 from fall 2017.
- Industrial-Organizational master’s program ranks as one of nation’s best
In three separate ranking studies of American and Canadian graduate programs, UTC ranked in the Top 10 in eight out of nine categories, hitting No. 1 or No. 2 in three.
- Rapper Young Dolph performs at UTC
From the mud of Memphis and the Mississippi River to the shiny life of a professional rapper to being shot, Adolph Thornton Jr. — better known as Young Dolph — has led an interesting life.
- Music grad pens No. 1 country song
“Best Shot,” a heartfelt ballad co-written by UTC grad JP Williams, hit No. 1 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart.
- New Master of Public Health opens career doors
Officially opened in 2018, the new master of public health program is the only one in Tennessee and one of only a few nationwide with a concentration in chronic disease treatment and prevention, a rapidly growing issue in global health care.
- UTC Rocket Mocs team ranked No. 1 in the United States
UTC’s student rocket team—the Rocket Mocs—are the No. 1 team in the country, the first time a team from the university has reached those heights.
- Plans moving ahead on new Wolford Family Athletics Center
A financial plan is now in place to start construction on the Wolford Family Athletics Center, a 70,000-square-foot addition and renovation to McKenzie Arena.
- ‘For You’: Terrell Owens dedicates Hall of Fame induction to Mocs
Often characterized by critics as overly focused on self, Terrell Owens told a crowd in McKenzie Arena that the celebration of his reaching the Pro Football Hall of Fame was “for you.”