fixed-internatl-summer-undergraduate-research-program-guidelines-11-1-16-2 (for PDF of this information & form to fill out)
International Summer Undergraduate Research Program
Proposal Submission Deadline: 5:00 PM January 31, 2017
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors (RaCE) is pleased to present an international summer learning opportunity for students. The International Summer Undergraduate Research Program represents a collaboration between the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and the University of Cadiz in Spain. The purpose of this initiative is to support students to participate in an eight (8) week intensive research experience during the summer in a global environment. Students from ALL disciplines are invited to apply.
Full-time undergraduate students who are rising juniors or seniors may apply. Students in all disciplines are encouraged to apply. Students may only submit 1 application per funding cycle.
Award and Duration
The summer research experience in Spain is expected to last for eight weeks onsite with a brief orientation session at UTC on May 15 & 16, flying out the afternoon of May 16. Final reports must be submitted by August 31, 2017. Awards will be a standard amount of $4,000 per awardee. The award will include the following:
- $1,000 student stipend (paid as student compensation; benefits & payroll taxes will be deducted)
- $1,400 to defray the costs of airfare (can be direct-billed if travel is arranged through the RaCE office or reimbursed up to the $1,400 amount if the student chooses to arrange their own airfare)
- Housing, transfers, and a small per diem will be provided.
- $250 to defray costs associated with the research activity – e.g., supplies, printing, etc. will be provided to the mentors at the University of Cadiz.
Proposal Review and Selection
All proposals will be reviewed by a selection panel composed of UTC and University of Cadiz faculty and administrators. Each proposal will be evaluated using a standardized rubric. Proposals selection will consider not only the quality of individual proposals but also the alignment with prospective research mentors from the University of Cadiz and diversity of disciplines represented. Awardees will be notified of the outcome via email in February 2017.
Final Report: Awardees will be required to submit a final project report to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors by August 31, 2017. The final report should include the following:
- Research report including achievements or progress towards research objectives, challenges or obstacles encountered, etc.
- Student reflection on the international research experience and how it has furthered their goals, broadened their perspectives, or advanced learning.
Research Dialogues Participation: Awardees are required to participate in the Research Dialogues campus research conference which will be held in April 2018.
Preparing Your Application
Interested applicants should carefully review the application guidelines and write their proposals in close alignment with the required format. Proposals should be written BY the student with input and suggestions from faculty, but faculty should NOT be the primary authors. By signing the cover form the faculty and students are attesting that the student is the primary author of the proposal.
A complete application is limited to the following components:
- Signed Application Cover Sheet: Template below. For document version, click the link at the top of this page. (Scanned signatures are acceptable)
- Letter of application: Limited to 2 pages, single-spaced. Font should be 11 pt. or larger. The letter should answer the following questions:
- What are your research goals and interests?
- How is the research and international experience aligned with your learning and career goals?
- Why is an international experience particularly important or impactful for your research and learning?
- What are your future career goals and how will this support those goals?
- Two (2) letters of Recommendation: Please contact your letter writers well in advance of the deadline to secure a letter. Letters of Recommendation are due along with the proposal and will factor heavily in the selection process.
- Unofficial transcripts.
Submitting Your Proposal
An electronic copy of the entire proposal, signed by the student, and Department Head should be submitted via email to Amy-Campbell@utc.edu by 5:00pm on January 31, 2017. Submission is considered complete only when you receive an email confirmation acknowledging receipt of the proposal.
PLEASE NOTE: Proposals received after 5:00pm on January 31, 2017 can NOT be accepted under any circumstances and will be returned without review.
The submitted proposal should include scanned copies of the signed cover page and all required application components. In the event that you cannot create scanned copies, we will accept an emailed copy of the proposal accompanied by hard copies of signed documents. BOTH email and hard copies must be received by 5:00pm on January 31, 2017.
If you have any questions regarding proposal preparation or submission, please contact….
International Summer Undergraduate Research Program
Application Cover Page – Application deadline: January 31, 2017
|Semester Hours Completed:||Department:|