UTC Green trips website is now LIVE.

START LOGGING TODAY @ utc.igreentrip.org.

GreenTrips is an incentive program that provides rewards for walking, biking, carpooling, taking public transit or telecommuting. By encouraging more efficient use of our existing roads and sidewalks, GreenTrips helps reduce traffic congestion and air pollution at the same time.

GreenTrips is a free program of the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Regional Planning Agency. Since its launch in June 2013, GreenTrips members have logged over 1.6 million sustainably-travelled miles and avoided over 100,000 pounds of automobile pollution.

Dr. Charlene Simmons, UC Foundation Associate Professor in the Department of Communications has been using GreenTrips since the start of the program. “When I heard I could win prizes for logging my walk to work I figured, why not? Little did I know how much GreenTrips would change how I travel around town.”

Dr. Simmons said that logging her trips with GreenTrips encouraged her to think about alternatives to driving alone. “As I drove less I realized I could navigate most of town by bike, bus, or foot, thus reducing my impact on the environment. When my car broke down in December 2013, I decided to see if I could go carless and really rack up the GreenTrips points. Over a year and a half later, I’m still carless and have won gift certificates for everything from restaurants to Lookouts tickets to Amazon.com.”

Dr. Simmons encourages everyone to start out small and reap the rewards of taking Green Trips.

“You don’t have to throw away the keys to your car to enjoy the same benefits. Simply try switching a few trips a week from driving alone in a car to walking, biking, riding the bus, or carpooling. Before you know it you’ll accumulate dozens of GreenTrips points you can use to enter the gift certificate contests. Plus, you’ll help the environment and maybe even burn some Calories!”

Anyone 18 or older can sign up with no user fees and track their Green Trips at iGreenTrip.org. Each trip a user logs by walking, biking, carpooling, taking public transit or trips avoided by telecommuting or working a compressed workweek is worth one point, and points can be redeemed each month for prizes. Members can enter contests, purchase prizes directly with their points, and also automatically win Milestone rewards simply by taking trips. GreenTrips hopes that these rewards will be a nice reminder each time you are about to hop in the car alone to consider taking a Green Trip instead.

GESA Photo 2 (larger group)