Project Overview / History
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga public website is managed through the Office of Communications and Marketing under the leadership of George Heddleston. Editorial work for individual pages has been managed and provided by over 300 editors across the campus representing all academic and administrative groups. Currently, there are over 5,000 pages that make up the UTC website. The website has been developed in OU Campus by OmniUpdate and WordPress. The last redesign and migration from Adobe Contribute took place in 2013.
The website reflects a broad perspective: from pages focused on the student experience–such as admissions, athletics, and events–to repository-like pages housing departmental forms, processes, instructions, and links that may only be of interest or use to the members within a specific department.
The UTC Chancellor and Executive Leadership Team have initiated a formal project to move the campus website in a new direction. A project is defined as a series of tasks, with a recognized beginning and end point, that produces a deliverable or expected result. All projects end. If the project is correctly scoped, monitored, and implemented, the deliverables will arrive on time, on or under budget, and with a modicum of celebration by all involved. The remainder of this charter outlines the understanding of the project objectives and communicates the opportunities and challenges recognized as a part of any responsible project plan.
Website Refresh and Migration Project Team
UTC Communications and Marketing has lead responsibility for project management and oversight and is exercising both in partnership with UTC Information Technology.
Collectively, the project team is engaged in the following broad functions:
- Communicate project timelines, milestones and progress updates with campus
- Work with campus constituents to review, organize, and improve web content
- Identify, train and support departmental editors in use of new content management system
- Establish, share and maintain design and editorial standards for website content
The project team meets regularly to review progress and complete the tasks of the project.
- George Heddleston, Vice Chancellor, Communications and Marketing
- Chèrie Whipple, Associate CIO, Information Technology
- Sarah Joyner, Staff Writer and Content Strategist, Communications and Marketing
- Chris Gilligan, Website Development Specialist, Communications and Marketing
- Mike Flores, Web Developer, Communications and Marketing
- Bernardo Martinez, Web Developer, Communications and Marketing