Elizabeth Johnson, Director of the Center for Academic Support and Advisement, and Kayla McAuliffee, Assistant Director of Advising, won the EMSA Brilliance Award for September. Stormy Sims, Academic Advisor, nominated them for their hard work on the new Academic and Career Exploration cohort.
The Mocs Box, a direct mail package designed for New Student Orientation, won Best of Category for Cartons and Containers in the 2021 Printing Industry of the South (PIAS) Graphic Awards. Starkey Printing, a printing company located in Chattanooga, submitted the design to the annual convention. The Mocs Box was designed by April Cox, EMSA Creative Director, for The Office of New Student and Family Programs.
Hannah Turcotte, Coordinator for Student and Family Engagement, received the Chancellor’s Blue Ribbon award for November 2021. “Hannah is an encourager, a hard worker, a team player and a dedicated servant leader,” Elena-Grace Anderson, Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Life and one of the people who nominated Hannah, said. “She takes pride in the services and programs offered by her office and the University as a whole.”
The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships hosted their annual FAFSA Friday events in October. For several hours every Friday, staff members met with students and their families to answer questions and offer advice for completing the FAFSA. The Mocs One Center also assisted in FAFSA Friday events.
Multiple EMSA offices hosted events this past semester celebrating and promoting diversity. The Office of Multicultural Affairs planned events and initiatives for Native American Heritage Month and Hispanic Heritage Month. Student Success Programs hosted First Gen Week, a celebration for first-generation students at UTC. Students enjoyed The Center for Global Education hosted International Education Week, an annual event that recognizes the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide.
It’s often said that administrative assistants are the glue that holds UTC’s offices and departments together, and Mandy McAllister, is no different. As the Administrative Assistant for the Office of Student and Family Engagement, Mandy is an invaluable asset to the University. She regularly goes above and beyond by regularly serving on search committees, contributing to special projects, participating in department and division events and more.
“Mandy is always willing to step up and do whatever is needed to help serve our office, our division, and most importantly, our students,” Laura Petrus, Director of the Office of Student and Family Engagement, said. “We are so very grateful to have her on our team.”
Appointments, Promotions and Retirements
- Katherine Hewitt joined the Office of Wellbeing as the Assistant Director for Health Education and Wellness Promotion.
- Nicole Ewing is the new Associate Director for Assessment in Housing and Residence Life.
- David Phelps was appointed Resident Director in Housing and Residence Life
- Courtney Muller joined the division as a Marketing Coordinator in Housing and Residence Life.
- Audrey Hawkersmith accepted the position as Career Counselor in the Center for Career and Leadership Development.
- Mary Moore and Jonathan Daniel joined the Counseling Center as Clinical Interns.
- Akeyla Madison accepted the position of Diversity Initiatives and Outreach Coordinator in the Counseling Center.
- Adelia Soulje is a new Administrative Assistant in the Counseling Center.
- Sylvana Matthews was appointed Director of Veteran Student Services.
- Chris Bridgers joined the Office of the Dean of Students as an Assistant Director for Student Engagement.
- Benjamin Powell accepted the position of Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life in the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Endia Butler joined the Center for Career and Leadership Development as the Assistant Director for Professional Development.
Spring 2022 Orientation
The Office of New Student & Family Programs will host a virtual orientation for incoming freshmen and transfer students on January 5, 2022. Students can register for Orientation on the UTC website.
Spring 2022 Semester Begins
The first day of classes for the Spring 2022 semester is Monday, January 10. Students have until Sunday, January 16 to add or drop classes and until Sunday, January 23 to withdraw from classes.
Winter Welcome is scheduled for Monday, January 10 to Friday, January 14, 2022. If you have an event to welcome students back to spring semester, please submit details using the online form by Friday, January 7 at 1 p.m.
Black History Month
The Office of Multicultural Affairs is looking for submissions of useful, engaging, and collaborative programs for Black History Month 2022. This year’s theme is “Continuing the Legacy and Embracing the Culture.” If your department or office is planning an event, please submit details through Mocsync.
Submit to the Newsletter
This newsletter is all about recognizing and celebrating YOU—the people who serve our students every day. Tell us about new and upcoming projects, past accomplishments, department news, brags on your colleagues, and anything else that you think deserves recognition. We’re always taking submissions. Use this form to submit to the newsletter.
Have questions or need help with your submission? Please contact Laura Bond.
For division employees who need to subscribe, please email April Cox.