Thanks to the hard work of the Office of Veteran Student Services, UTC was selected as one of the nation’s 30 Best for Vets colleges by the Military Times. UTC was also the highest-ranked university in Tennessee.
Danny Grzesik, Director of Leadership Development and Programs for the Center for Career and Leadership Development, recently graduated from Leadership Chattanooga, a 10-month leadership development program presented by the Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce.
University Health Services continued routine testing for COVID-19 throughout the summer for student-athletes and participants in summer programming like the Governor’s School and Moc Up.
The Office of New Student and Family Programs hosted Moc to Moc throughout the summer. Moc to Moc was optional, in-person, half day activity to help incoming freshmen and transfer students connect and engage with current Mocs and UTC departments.
Staff and Orientation Leaders hosted 20 sessions of Moc to Moc this summer.
- The Center for Student Wellbeing has been renamed the Center for Wellbeing.
- The Center for Career and Leadership Development has moved to the first floor of the University Center.
- The Disability Resource Center has moved to the third floor of the University Center.
Help Us Add to the Flock!
Those who know and love UTC are the best ambassadors and recruiters for our University. That’s where you come in. We rely on everyone in the EMSA division to help us find great students to welcome to our campus community. Here’s how you can make a difference and help us add more Mocs to our flock.
- The admissions application for the 2021 – 2022 school year opens on Sunday, August 15! Students can apply online at utc.edu/apply.
- The Office of Undergraduate Admissions has plans for events, give-aways, contests and more on social media in the coming weeks. Make sure to follow along at @utcnewmocs on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Found a student who is interested in UTC? Refer them! Use this form on the Admissions website. The prospective student can also fill out an interest card themselves online.
- For parents who want to learn more about UTC, have them check out the UTC Parent and Family Association online and on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Students from more than 55 countries rely on the Office of International Student Scholar Services (ISS) to help them with making a successful transition to UTC. This busy office is led by Dr. Patricia Lin-Steadman, who was recently promoted to Assistant Director.
In addition to helping international students with their needs, Patricia and her colleagues in ISS promote cultural exchange and international cooperation through campus events and a themed living-learning community. Through a partnership with other EMSA offices, Patricia manages the Go Global community where UTC students to live with and learn from returning UTC exchange students and new international students from all over the world.
Patricia recently earned her Doctorate in Learning and Leadership from UTC.
Appointments, Promotions and Retirements
- Madeleine Bordelon is the new Assistant Director for Guest Relations in Housing and Residence Life.
- Anastasia Chaky joined Housing and Residence Life as the Resident Director of West Campus Housing.
- Adam Lindo was recently hired as the Resident Director of Guerry and Decoismo Apartments.
- Annie Mabon is now serving as the Interim Resident Director for Walker & UC Foundation Apartments.
- Jayda Coons is the new Faculty in Residence for Boling Apartments.
- Laura Kearney joined the Office of the University Registrar as an Academic Records and Documents Specialist.
- Wanda Richardson was recently hired as an Administrative Associate in the Office of the University Registrar.
- Jill Williams-Alger joined the Center for Global Education as an International Credential Evaluator and Communication Specialist.
- Bailey Davidson is a new Global Programs Specialist in the Center for Global Education.
- Chris Bridgers is now serving as the Assistant Director for Student Engagement in the Office of Student and Family Engagement.
- Benjamin Powell was recently hired as the Coordinator for Fraternity & Sorority Life in Office of Student and Family Engagement.
Operation Move In
More than 3,000 students will move into their residence halls this month. Incoming freshmen and transfer students will move in on Wednesday, August 11 and Thursday, August 12, and upperclassman on Friday and Saturday, August 13 – 14. Housing and Residence Life is looking for volunteers to help with this event. Sign up here.
The Office of Student Success Programs is hosting First Flight, a pre-welcome week experience to help first- and second-year students navigate college life. Events start Wednesday, August 11 and end on Sunday, August 15. Events include resources fairs, outdoor recreation opportunities, campus tours and more. See the full schedule on the First Flight website.
Convocation is back this year and will bring plenty of Mocs spirit to start the semester. This welcoming event introduces our newest class of students to life at UTC. Festivities kick off at 10 a.m. on Friday, August 13 in McKenzie Arena.
To assist our Mocs with transitioning to college life, Welcome Week is full of events and programming for students to make connections, learn about campus resources and just have fun. Long-running traditions like Oak Street Roast are returning, along with the annual pool party at the ARC and a glow skate night. Check out the Welcome Week website for more details.
Our students return to campus for a new semester. Classes for the Fall 2021 semester start on Monday, August 16.
University Health Services will host a walk-in COVID-19 vaccine clinic for the campus community on Monday, August 16 and Wednesday, August 18 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Tennessee room of the University Center
Make plans to come out to this year’s Homecoming events starting on Sunday, October 24. This annual tradition has a wide range of activities, including pep rallies, a lip sync competition, a tap party and more. Bring your best blue and gold spirit to Finley Stadium on Saturday, October 30 when the Mocs take on Furman. Kick-off is at 1:30 p.m.
Submit to the Newsletter
This newsletter is all about recognizing and celebrating YOU—the people who serve our students every day. Tell us about new and upcoming projects, past accomplishments, department news, brags on your colleagues, and anything else that you think deserves recognition. We’re always taking submissions. Use this form to submit to the newsletter.
Have questions or need help with your submission? Please contact Laura Bond.
For division employees who need to subscribe, please email April Cox.