Welcome to our September Parent and Family Association Newsletter! As September unfolds, our students are settling into their routines, finding comfort in their courses and enjoying campus life!
Classes are well underway, and our dedicated faculty are guiding your students through important course material. Encourage your student to use their faculty members as a resource and be sure they are taking advantage of the academic support provided on campus. Remember, when asking your students about their academics, don’t make it seem like another quiz. Focus on what they are learning and what interests them in their classes!
Campus is buzzing with student organization events and meetings, intramurals, campus events and more! Be sure to encourage your student to explore all the different opportunities to be involved outside the classroom. MocSync is the best resource on campus to browse involvement opportunities at UTC.
Your role in your student’s journey is incredibly important and we are here to support you both through this exciting journey. Stay tuned for more updates on social media, emails and future newsletters! In the meantime reach out to us by phone at 423-425-2321 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. And give us a follow on Facebook or Instagram!
- September 3 (Sunday): Last day to drop a class before a W (withdrawal) is recorded (one or more courses)
- September 4 (Monday): Holiday- No classes
- October 16-17 (Monday-Tuesday): Fall Break- No classes
- October 18 (Wednesday): Undergraduate mid-term grades due from faculty by 10:00 am
Greetings from Janice Cosey, Bursar
The Fall 2023 Semester has already begun, and I hope your student is enjoying the next level of educational studies. Welcome to the UTC Family!
The Bursar Office Team is prepared to assist in the continued educational journey of your student(s)! Email should be checked regularly to avoid any oversight of important information via the student portal, MyMocsNet. It is suggested students provide access to parents, guardians, or others, by setting up the MyMocsPass Phase, through the MyMocsNet account, which also allows the Bursar Office Team to discuss specific account related information.
We continue to encourage students to set up ACH/Direct Deposit for refunds through the student’s MyMocsNet account. It is a vital step to ensure the funds expected can be delivered as quickly and securely as possible. Paper checks are mailed to the permanent address on file, which can take 5-10+ days via USPS. If assistance is needed on adding the refund account information, please go to www.utc.edu/bursar, click the “Video Instructions” tab in the middle of the page and click on the video titled “Bursar Series: Direct Deposit.
If the Tuition Installment Payment Plan (TIPP) was utilized for the Fall Semester, the first payment was due September 1, 2023, followed by due dates of October 1 and November 1. Late fees are applied on the 4th of the month if the scheduled payment is not received.
If you have general questions, please contact our office at 423.425.4781 or email us at Bursars-Office@utc.edu. The office is open Monday – Friday from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm.
UTC Safe Mocs App
The UTC Safe Mocs app is a tool for quickly reaching campus police, reporting safety concerns and accessing the campus Crisis Support system for behavioral health issues. The app also can connect users with the Counseling Center, University Health Services and student outreach and support including academic tutoring, advising, career services and interactive campus maps.
During campus emergencies the app will receive UTC-ALERT messages and provide access to emergency plans and the UT Reconnect site to let family and friends know you’re safe.
Safe Mocs is free and available for iPhone and Android, and students, faculty, staff and their families are encouraged to download it. Go to the Apple or Google Play app stores and search for “Safe Mocs.”
Students can now order ahead on Grubhub and skip the line! Students can still use their meal exchange, mocs bucks, scrappy cash and credit/debit when checking out on the app! There are no additional fees added when using Grubhub Campus Dining!
Slim and Husky’s Pizza is located at the Local Restaurant Row on West Campus and is open from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm Monday through Friday. They accept meal exchange, mocs bucks, scrappy cash, debit, and credit cards. It’s a great option for late-night snacking!
Mocs Dining has several events coming up in September. On September 11th, there will be Monday Night Football. On September 14th, there will be Breakfast for Dinner with Bingo. On September 19th, there will be Scrappy’s Market where students can get free produce!
Mocs Dining is currently hiring student workers! The hours and schedules are flexible, and student workers receive a bi-weekly paycheck. Students can apply at https://careers.aramark.com/.
Mark your calendars for the fourth annual Mocs Give Day on Tuesday, October 3.
Our donors helped UTC crush our goals in 2022, and we know you’ll help us reach even higher this year as we aim to hit $1,000,000 from 1,500 donors!
By making a gift of any size to UTC supporting the people and programs that matter to you, you can help us achieve our goals on October 3. With exciting matching gift opportunities and donor challenges taking place all day, your giving can make even more of an impact on Mocs Give Day.
While there are no classes for fall break, October 16-17, the residence halls will remain open. Residence halls will however close at noon Wednesday, December 13 for winter break.
Housing and Residence Life is excited to offer Residential Tutoring again for the fall semester. The full schedule will be available at www.utc.edu/tutor (or on our social media: @utchousing).
Housing Issues or Concerns
Please encourage your students to contact their RA or RD with any questions or concerns. From roommate conflicts to maintenance-related concerns, they are there to help. Please also have them check out the Housing Student Handbook that contains information on how to live in our residence halls.
- If your student has a maintenance issue, have them fill out a maintenance request in Manage My Housing. If it is an emergency, have them contact their complex office or RA On Call.
Moc LEAD Self-Awareness Experience Applications Are Due by Wednesday, Sept. 13!
Do you want your student to meet new Mocs? To enhance their ability to positively influence their friends, teams, and orgs? Encourage your student to invest in the potential you see in them with this 10-week cohort certificate program. Participants can expect to explore leadership in a fun way, to discover their “why” & communication style, to connect with a network of resources, and to achieve their goals. Students will even have an opportunity to earn a $200 Scholarship Reward for their commitment. There will be plenty of free food and giveaways along the way. Complete details, including the application, can be found at www.utc.edu/moclead . Questions can be directed to Daniel Grzesik, Director of Leadership Development and Programs, at Daniel-Grzesik@utc.edu or (423) 425-4252.
Student Volunteers Needed for Community Service Initiative on Friday, September 22!
UTC is excited to participate in the local United Way’s city-wide “Day of Caring” Community Service Initiative on Friday, September 22! We have been able to reserve select spots across three locations (Brown Middle School, Hixson Middle School, Chattanooga Zoo) where your student’s servant leadership hands are needed for beautification efforts such as painting, moving debris, and hanging up items. If your student is available on this Friday morning, encourage them to register to participate at https://mocsyncorgs.utc.edu/event/9234345. A grab-n-go breakfast, transportation, t-shirts, and lunch will be provided! Questions can be directed to Daniel Grzesik at Daniel-Grzesik@utc.edu or (423) 425-4252.
September Housing Events
- Westies Besties Weekly Events with West Campus RD Twitch and Faculty-In-Residence Dr. Hathaway
- Tuesdays: Morning Walk | 8 a.m., depart from WCH Lobby
- Wednesdays: Community Dinner at Crossroads | 5:30 p.m., depart from WCH Lobby
- West Campus: Step Up! For Mental Health Training Workshop (Partnership with the Center for Wellbeing)
- September 5, 7 p.m., WCH Multipurpose Room (WCH-162)
- West Campus: Dr. H’s Million Steps Challenge. Teams of 10 compete to walk a million steps in 10 days.
- September 6-15. Teams sign-up at Oval Desk.
- West Campus: Downtown Walking Tour, led by Dr. Hathaway
- September 6, 7 PM, Depart from WCH Lobby
- Stophel: Pickleball and Pizza
- September 14, 4-6 p.m., Stophel Courtyard
- Stagmaier: 3rd Floor Collaborative Mural
- September 15, 6 p.m., Stagmaier Lounge
- West Campus: Glow in the Dark Dodgeball
- September 18, 9 p.m., WCH Courtyard
- West Campus: Center for Wellbeing Movie Night
- September 28, 8 p.m., WCH 7th Floor Lobby
Mocs Football is back THIS SATURDAY and we can’t wait to see you at a game!. Season tickets are available for a few more days, so act fast and purchase today! Enjoy ALL FIVE home football games with your UTC Moc. Ticket options:
- Season Tickets: ONLY $60 for ALL five home games. September 9th, September 16th, October 7th, October 21st & November 4th.
- 3 Game Mini Plans: $36 you pick 3 of the 5 home games. This option is available through October 7th.
- Single game tickets: $15 when you purchase in advance. Tickets go up $2.00 on game days.
** For any new season ticket holders, don’t miss your chance for a DISCOUNT on GA season tickets! Save some money and get ticket for ONLY $55 ($50 + $5 processing fee). * Use Promo code: NEWMOCS
We will see YOU at Finley Stadium this season. To purchase click the button below!
Students interested in graduate school should mark their calendars for the UTC Grad Fair from 2-5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 7, in the University Center Chattanooga Room. Click here to register to attend.
- Explore Programs: Discover your path with UTC’s advanced degrees.
- Meet Experts: Connect with faculty and staff who are ready to answer questions.
- Get Answers: Clarify thoughts around admissions and careers.
- Who’s Invited?: Everyone is invited, from freshmen to staff. If you’ve ever thought about an advanced degree, this event is for you.
- Free Food: Network, learn and enjoy complimentary refreshments.
Registrants who visit the Grad Fair will receive an application fee waiver code to use when applying to the UTC Graduate School.
UTC has launched the new Off-Campus Student Services (OCSS) program for the 2023-2024 academic year. Housed in the Office of Student Outreach and Support, Off-Campus Student Services aims to help students find off-campus housing, educate students on their rights and responsibilities as renters, and assist with other needs they may experience living off-campus.
In addition, UTC has entered a partnership with College Pads, which provides an online tool to help students become more-educated renters, compare off-campus housing options, and find potential roommates. The link to College Pads’ Chattanooga off-campus housing listings can be found here.
The start of the new school year is a great time to consider how your student will prioritize wellness—which is essential for academic success and personal growth. Here are a few tips to help them find a balance:
- Mindful Moments: Set aside time throughout the day to practice mindfulness and engage in breathing exercises. Mindfulness can alleviate stress and sharpen focus.
- Balanced Diet: Fuel your body with nutritious meals and stay hydrated. A well-nourished mind is better equipped to excel.
- Active Breaks: Incorporate short bursts of movement into your routine. Take a walk, dance, stretch or hit the gym to boost energy levels.
- Social Connection: Cultivate supportive relationships with others. Connecting with others can provide emotional support and reduce feelings of isolation.
- Time Management: Organize your schedule efficiently, allowing time for both studies and relaxation. Proper planning reduces feeling overwhelmed.
- Quality Sleep: Prioritize sleep for cognitive function and overall well-being. Create a calming bedtime routine and maintain a consistent sleep schedule.
- Ask for Help: Don’t hesitate to reach out for help if you’re feeling overwhelmed. UTC has a wealth of resources meant to help you have the best college experience. Check out utc.edu/care for a list of on-campus resources.
Be Well is a collaborative initiative that supports holistic wellbeing programs across campus. If students see the Be Well logo, they can be sure it will be a free or low-cost event aimed at improving wellbeing. Here’s to a healthier and happier college experience!
Parent and Family Resource Guide
New the PFA website is the Parent and Family Resource Guide aimed to be a one-stop-shop for information you may need to guide your student throughout the academic year! Be sure you check it our and bookmark the page for easy access.