October is Exercise is Medicine on Campus Month (EIM-OC) at UTC, a social media-driven initiative that promotes physical exercise through activity challenges for students, faculty and staff.
Schedule of Events
- October 1 at 9 a.m.: Kickoff Heart Walk—Coolidge Park. Join EIM and the UTC Master of Public Health program to support the American Heart Association at the Tennessee Valley Heart Walk. Registration is free. Any funds raised will earn you an entry in the UTC Heart Walk Raffle.
- October 11 at 11:30 a.m., Library 434: Introduction to Walking/Running for Fitness Workshop (UTC employees only). Join professionals from Fast Break to learn more about how walking and/or running can benefit your health and how properly fitted shoes can help. This workshop is targeted to employees who want to get started with a walking/running routine. To sign-up: faculty registration link; staff registration link. There are 12 available slots for faculty and 12 for staff. Door prize drawings!
- October 13 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.: White Oak Bike Co-op Pop Up Shop at Chamberlain Pavilion. White Oak Bicycle Cooperative’s volunteers will be on campus to perform basic maintenance to get your bike running again. They will also collect bikes you would like to donate.
- October 19 from 10 a.m.–1 p.m.: Be Well Health Fair in UC Tennessee Room. Vendors related to all things physical well-being will display a variety of programs and resources across the Chattanooga area.
- October 19 from 1-4 p.m.: Field Day on Chamberlain. Join us on Chamberlain Field for Ladder Golf, Cornhole, Inflatables and more to take a break from your stress. Two attendees will win UTC Bookstore gift cards.
- October 25 at 6:30 p.m.: Sunset Yoga on Chamberlain Circle. Join us to melt away your stress. This free class is open to all members of the UTC Community; just bring your own mat or towel and join us at sunset.
- October 25 at 3 p.m.: ARC Squat Clinic. Come out and feel the burn with our Squat Clinic at the ARC.
- October 27 from 1-4 p.m.: ARC Lifting Competition. Form a team and join us at the lifting competition at the ARC for a stellar workout.
- October 27 at 8:30 p.m.: ARC Monster Mash. Come out and dance the night away at this spooky Zumba event. Wear your best Halloween costume and compete for best dressed.
All Month Long
- McKamey Mocs and Mutts. Did you know that you can borrow dogs from McKamey Animal Center for afternoon hikes or morning coffee dates? The UTC student that logs the most hours in McKamey’s Trailblazer program this month will win a $20 UTC Bookstore gift card and a McKamey t-shirt.
- October Employee Step Challenge (October 3-31). Gift card prizes for the top two walkers and the most improved. This challenge is for employees who want to get started with a walking routine. We will use an app to either track our steps or enter our steps and we can monitor the challenge on the app’s leaderboard! Limited to 100 employees; registration instructions.
Social Media Events — Week of October 3
- #MocsMove Social Media Challenge. Kick off EIMOC Month by showing us how #MocsMove. Use #MocsMove and tag @UTCHHP in your Instagram stories for a chance to win a UTC Bookstore gift card.
Social Media Events — All Month Long
- West Campus Social Media Activity Challenge and Color Fight. West Campus residents can enter their own social media challenge for a chance to participate in a complex-wide color fight.
- EIM-OC Bingo Social Media Challenge. Fill out your EIMOC bingo card throughout the month. Each bingo earns you an entry in our raffle for a Series 3 Apple Watch.
- Daily #DidYouKnow. Follow @ UTCHHP on Instagram and Facebook for daily facts about the wide variety of benefits of exercise.