- History helps us understand people and societies
- History contributes to moral understanding
- History provides identity
- Studying history is essential for good citizenship
- History is useful in the world of work
The bottom line:
“Why study history? The answer is because we virtually must, to gain access to the laboratory of human experience. When we study it reasonably well, and so acquire some usable habits of mind, as well as some basic data about the forces that affect our own lives, we emerge with relevant skills and an enhanced capacity for informed citizenship, critical thinking, and simple awareness.”
Read more here.