Mohammad J. Mahtabi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering and Computer Science
EMCS 445B, Dept. 2502
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
Office: (423) 425-4071
Fax: (423) 425-5229
I am an assistant professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC). I received my PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Mississippi State University under supervision of Profs. Tonya Stone and James C. Newman Jr. Before joining UTC, I was a postdoctoral research associate at the Dynamic and Smart Systems Lab (Elahinia’s Lab) at the University of Toledo. I have received my Master’s in structural engineering from Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST) and my Undergraduate in Civil Engineering from University of Tehran. My area of expertise includes additive manufacturing, fatigue and fracture mechanics, shape memory alloys, medical devices, and computational mechanics.
- Ph.D.: Mechanical Engineering (2017), Mississippi State University, MS, USA
- M.Sc.: Structural Engineering (2008), Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran
- B.Sc.: Civil Engineering (2005), University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga since Aug. 2018
Postdoctoral Research Associate: The University of Toledo, OH, PI: Dr. Mohammad Elahinia Sep. 2017-Aug. 2018
Graduate Research Assistant: The Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS), Mississippi State University, MS Jan. 2014-Aug. 2017
Graduate Research Assistant: University of Toledo, OH Jan. 2013-Dec. 2013
Structural Engineer: A & A Engineering Co., Toledo, Ohio Jun. 2013-Sep. 2013
Structural Engineer: Aria Hangard Eng. Co., Tehran, Iran Nov. 2010-Jan. 2013
Lecturer: Islamic Azad University, Eslamshahr branch, Tehran, Iran Dec. 2009-Jun. 2010
Structural Engineer: Imen Sazeh Fadak Const. Eng. Tehran, Iran Mar. 2007-Jun. 2009
Structural Engineer: MATN Const. Eng. Tehran, Iran Apr. 2006-Feb. 2007
Civil Engineer: Omran-e Asr-e Sepid Const. Eng. Tehran, Iran Apr. 2004-Apr. 2006
- Additive Manufacturing
- Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics
- Shape Memory Alloys
- Computational Mechanics
- Phase-Field Modeling
- Mechanical Behavior of Materials
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding Graduate Student-Hall of Fame of Scholars, Bagley College of Engineering – Mississippi State University, spring 2017.
- Graduate Student Research Award sponsored by Offices of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development (ORED) – Mississippi State University, spring 2017.
- ASTM International Graduate Scholarship, 2016.
- SAE International Fatigue Design Committee – Henry O. Fuchs Student Award, 2016.
- Mississippi State University Bagley College of Engineering Travel Award, 2016.
- ASTM International E08 Committee on Fatigue and Fracture – Dr. M.R. Mitchell – Best Student Presentation Award, 2015.
- Mississippi State University Graduate Student Association Travel Award, 2015.
- Mississippi State University Bagley College of Engineering PhD Accelerator Scholarship, 2014 – 2015.
- Outstanding teaching assistant, the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Toledo, 2013.
- Masonry Institute of Michigan Scholarship, 2013.
- M.Sc. Full Scholarship, Iran University of Science and Technology, Iran, 2005 – 2007.
- B.Sc. Full Scholarship, University of Tehran, Iran, 2001 – 2005.