Dr. Khalid Tantawi
Dr. Khalid Tantawi is an Assistant Professor in the ETME department. He holds a PhD and MSc. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and a double MSc. in Aerospace Engineering from the Institut Superieur de l’Aeronautique et de l’Espace and University of Pisa. Previously, was a trainer for Siemens Technik Akademy for certifying Siemens Mechatronic Systems Certifications (level 1) and was a mechatronics faculty at Motlow State Community College. He is the elected chair of the Engineering section of the Tennessee Academy of Science for 2022 and previously in 2017.
Dr. Tantawi is going through the training process to become an ABET evaluator, he previously served as an academic auditor for the Tennessee Board of Regents, and a panelist for the Tennessee Textbook Advisory Panel for the Tennessee Department of Education, and the European Commission’s Erasmus Mundus Association. He founded the Society of Manufacturing Engineers chapter at UTC, and the SkillsUSA, and American Chemical Society chapters at Motlow State Community College. With more than 30 journal and conference publications, Dr. Tantawi was also an invited speaker at several conferences, and chaired many conference sessions. He reviewed and judged many textbooks, student competitions, scientific papers, and grant proposals, and was awarded several grants in mechatronics and advanced manufacturing that amount to more than $750,000. He is an active member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, the Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Society, and the Tennessee Academy of Science.
Dr. Tantawi’s research interests include:
- Micro- Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS), fabrication of microstructures made in porous silicon for studying transmembrane proteins
- Microfluidics using photosensitive glass
- Advanced manufacturing and Industry 4.0 technologies.
For more information, please visit Dr. Tantawi’s research page.
Journal and Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Khalid Tantawi and Hope Hunnicutt, “Electrophysiology of Phosphatidylserine Bilayer Membranes Using Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy“, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 85598, 2021
- Khalid H Tantawi, Ismail Fidan, George Chitiyo, Mel Cossette, “Offering Hands-on Manufacturing Workshops Through Distance Learning” 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference, 2021
- Khalid Tantawi, “Literature Review: Rethinking BioMEMS in the aftermath of CoVid-19“,Biomedical Journal of Scientific & Technical Research, 31 (1), pp. 23944-23946, 2020
- Shane Terry, Ismail Fidan, and Khalid Tantawi, ” Preliminary investigation into metal-material extrusion“, Progress in Additive Manufacturing, 1-9, 2020
- M. Mohammadizadeh, H. Lu, I. Fidan, K. Tantawi, A. Gupta, S. Hasanov, Z. Zhang, F. Alifui-Segbaya, A. Rennie, “Mechanical and Thermal Analyses of Metal-PLA Components Fabricated by Metal Material Extrusion“, Inventions, 5, p. 44, 2020
- Shane Terry, Hao Lu, Ismail Fidan, Yunbo Zhang, Khalid Tantawi, Terry Guo, Bahram Asiabanpour, The Influence of Smart Manufacturing Towards Energy Conservation: A Review Technologies, 8 (2), p. 31, 2020
- Mahdi Mohammadizadeh, Hao Lu, Ismail Fidan, Khalid Tantawi, Ankit Gupta, Seymur Hasanov, Zhicheng Zhang, Frank Alifui-Segbaya, Allan Rennie, “Mechanical and Thermal Analyses of Metal-PLA Components Fabricated by Metal Material Extrusion” Preprints, 2020
- Khalid Tantawi, Alexander Soklenov, and Omar Tantawi, “Advances in Industrial Robotics: From Industry 3.0 Automation to Industry 4.0 Collaboration“, TIMES-iCON 2019 Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, 2019
- S. Terry, I. Fidan, and K. Tantawi, “Dimensional Analysis of Metal Powder Infused Filament – Low Cost Metal 3D Printing” 2019 Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium Proceedings, 2019
- Y. Musa, O. Tantawi, V. Bush, B. Johnson, N. Dixon, W. Kirk, and K. Tantawi, “Low-Cost Remote Supervisory Control System for an Industrial Process using Profibus and Profinet”, IEEE Southeast Conference, Huntsille, AL 2019
- Khalid Tantawi, Ismail Fidan, and Anwar Tantawi, “Status of Smart Manufacturing in the United States“, IEEE SoutheastCon, Huntsville, AL 2019
- Vishwas Bedekar and Khalid Tantawi, “MEMS Sensors and Actuators”, Book chapter, pp. 195-216 Springer International Publishing, 2017
- Khalid Hasan Tantawi,Linear Dynamic Modeling of Satellites with Flexible Appendages, LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2015
- W. R. Gaillard, Khalid Tantawi, V. Fedorov, E. Waddel, J. D. Williams, “In-plane Spectroscopy with Optical Fibers and Liquid Filled APEX Glass Microcuvettes”, Journal of Micromechanics and MicroEngineering, 23, 107001, 2013.
- Khalid Tantawi, Emanuel Waddell, and J.D. Williams, “Structural and composition analysis of Apex™ and Foturan™ photodefinable glasses”, Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 48, no. 5, pages 5316-5323, 2013.
- Khalid Hasan Tantawi, Bakhrom Berdiev, Ramon Cerro and John D. Williams, “Porous Silicon Membrane structure for Investigation of Transmembrane Proteins“, Journal of Superlattices and Microstructures, Vol. 58, pp. 72-80, 2013 .
- Khalid Hasan Tantawi, R. Cerro, B. Berdiev, M. Martina- Diaz, F. Montez, Darayas Patel, and J. Williams, “Investigation of Transmembrane Protein Fused in Lipid Bilayer Membranes Supported on Porous Silicon”, Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 37, pages 28-34, 2013
- Khalid Hasan Tantawi, Porous Silicon Platform for Investigation of Transmembrane Proteins: An Artificial Cell Membrane, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2013
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, William Gaillard, Jake Helton, Emanuel Waddell, Sergey Mirov, Vladimir Fedorov, and John D. Williams, “In-Plane Spectroscopy of Microfluidic Systems Made in Photosensitive Glass”, Journal of Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 19, pp. 173-177 (2013). DOI 10.1007/s00542-012-1626-6
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, B. Berdiev, R. Cerro, and J. D. Williams, “Investigations on Transmembrane Ion Channels Suspended over Porous Silicon Membranes“, Nanotech 2013 Vol. 3, pp. 198-201 (2013)
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, Janeczka Oates, Reza Kamali, Nathan Bergquist and John D Williams, Processing of photosensitive APEXTM glass structures with smooth and transparent sidewalls, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering Vol. 21, 017001, 2011
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, Daniel Alazard, and Christelle Cumer, Linear Dynamic Modeling of Spacecraft with Various Flexible Appendages, Journal of the International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC), Vol. 41, pp. 11148-11159, 2008
Conference Presentations and Proceedings:
- E. Mohamed, K. H. Tantawi, A. Pemberton, N. Pickard, M. Dyer, E. Hickman, K. Thompson, E. Kaplanoglu, A. Nasab, “Real Time Gesture-Controlled Mobile Robot using a Myo Armband” , Proceedings of the 2nd African International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Harare, Zimbabwe, December 7-10, 2020
- Khalid Tantawi and Hasan Mohd Tantawi, “Bolt failure due to low-cycle fatigue“, Tennessee Academy of Science 125th Conference, Murfreesboro, TN 11/20/2015
- John Barton, Roger Martinez, Alicia Meadors, and Khalid Tantawi, ” Dynamic modeling of vehicles for impact studies” , Tennessee Academy of Science 125th Conference, Murfreesboro, TN, 11/20/2015
Hasan M. Tantawi, Jabbar Ali, and Khalid Tantawi, “Investigation of Statistics of Failure Modes and Locations in Bolts“, Tennessee Academy of Science Collegiate Meeting, Nashville, TN, April 18, 2015
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, William Gaillard, and J. D. Williams, “Challenges of Photodefinable Glass Technology in Micromechatronics”, 124th Tennessee Academy of Science Conference, Morrisstown, TN, November 2014
Khalid Tantawi, William Gaillard, and J. D. Williams, “Merits and Limitations of Photodefinable Glass in Micromechatronic Applications” Hambold Kolleg Jordan Conference, Amman, Jordan, April, 2014, accepted for publication in Jordan Journal of Physics.
Khalid Tantawi, Bakhrom Berdiev, Ramon Cerro, and John Willaims, “Investigations on Transmembrane Ion Channels Suspended over Porous Silicon Membranes”, Biotech World Conference & Expo, Washington DC, May 12-16 2013
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, Ramon Cerro, Bakhrom Berdiev, M. Elena Diaz, Francisco Javier Montez, and John D Williams, “Investigation of Epithelial Sodium Channel Proteins Supported on Porous Silicon Using Atomic Force Microscopy”, Science and Technology Open House, Tuskegee, AL, April, 2012. (2nd place winner)
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, W. Gaillard, E. Waddell, S. Mirov, V. Federov, and J. Williams, “In-plane spectroscopy of microfluidic channels using photosensitive glass” IEEE Southeast Conference 2012 Proceeding, Orlando, FL, March 12-15 2012
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, Ramon Cerro, Bakhrom Berdiev, Elena Diaz, Javier Gonzales, and John D. Williams, “Lipid Bilayer Membranes with Incorporated Protein on Porous Silicon”, 22nd National NSF EPSCoR Conference, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, October 24-27, 2011
Khalid Hasan Tantawi and John D. Williams, “Biological membranes integrated on porous silicon technology”, Alabama Composites Conference, Birmingham, Alabama (August, 2010).
Khalid Hasan Tantawi, Janeszcka Oates, John Williams, “Processing of Smooth Sidewalls on Lithographically Defined Apex Glass”, IMAPS 6th International Conference and Exhibition on Device Packaging, Scottsdale/Fountain Hills, Arizona USA (March 2010)
Daniel Alazard, Christelle Cumer, and Khalid Hasan Tantawi, “Linear Dynamic Modeling of Spacecraft with Various Flexible Appendages and On-board Angular Momentum”, 7th International ESA Conference on Guidance, Navigation & Control Systems, 01-05 Jun 2008, Tralee, Ireland (June 2008)