DJ’s Get Taste of Live Air Time

By: Cody Mohon

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.- (The Loop) Homecoming week 2009 was indeed a “super” homecoming. The campus was busy with lip-syncing competitions and three legged races. Students were shoveling down free food and enjoying the golf cart parade through campus. While all this was going on outside, the DJ’s for The Perch, UTC’s first student run, web based station, were making history in their new studio on the first floor of the UC. Homecoming week 2009 was the first time these DJ’s were broadcasting live to the entire campus.

Station manager Krista Ashton and DJ Eric Bruno-Arimura hard at work in the studio during Homecoming 2009.

The Perch, which only began broadcasting last spring under the watchful eye of faculty advisor Nicole Brown, took a giant leap when all of the DJ’s were allowed to host or co-host the station Monday, Thursday, and Friday of Homecoming week from noon until 4 p.m.

Freshman Eric Bruno-Arimura, who became a member of The Perch only a few days before the live broadcast, thought that homecoming week was a rush. “The first time we went live I was really, really nervous, like I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. At the same time, I was excited to be starting something new and getting the full on experience as soon as I started.” View Eric Bruno-Arimura’s Perch Bio here!

DJ Peyton Rudolph co-hosts with Chatrice Barnes during Homecoming 2009.

Junior Peyton Rudolph enjoyed her on-air time as well. “This was my first on-air experience, and I was really nervous going into it. When it came time, I just did what I had been trained to do and hoped it would turn out all right.” View Peyton Rudolph’s Perch Bio here!

Brown had worries as well. She described herself as “antsy” before the broadcast, but as soon as the staff went live she said, “By noon on Monday I was thrilled. I was excited they got to experience what I did.” To view Professor Nicole Brown’s Perch Bio click here!

Rudolph also believed that this exciting event helped The Perch staff grow closer and gain respect for their station. “I am very pleased with The Perch staff as a whole. I think we came through the experience with a better understanding of our station, a greater sense of camaraderie, and we added to the excitement of Homecoming 2009.”

Faculty Advisor Nicole Brown got in some air time with DJ Olivia Bradley during Homecoming 2009.

It seems to Bruno-Arimura that live on-air time actually helped him with other aspects of The Perch. “Since that was my first week with the station, I got “thrown under the bus” as Professor Brown would say. However, now all the pressure has been taken off and recording liners seems really simple.”

Now that all that nervous excitement has passed, the DJ’s are recording their daily liners and waiting for their next chance to take over the mike. An itch to be on air has taken over the staff of The Perch, however Brown thinks they might have to put on the brakes. “In the future, yes, we may go live again, but I am hesitant because we have other things to focus on. That on air time was my gift to the staff.”

When asked if he would be interested in taking over the mike again anytime soon, Bruno-Arimura said, “I would love to do it again! Especially for like an actual radio show, even if it was every morning from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m.!”

Hear the DJ’s everyday on The Perch during these time slots:

1. Chatrice Barnes 12 a.m. to 3 a.m. Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. Saturday-Sunday
  2. Eric Bruno-Arimura 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. Monday-Friday, 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. Saturday-Sunday
  3. Olivia Bradley 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. Monday-Friday, 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Saturday-Sunday
  4. Alex Cooze 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday-Friday, 12 a.m. to 3 a.m. Saturday-Sunday
  5. Cody Mohon 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
  6. Peyton Rudolph 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
  7. Zach Bell 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
  8. Paige Steck 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Monday-Friday, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday

To view The Perch’s website and listen click here now!

Paige Steck takes over the mic for her first time during Homecoming Week 2009.

Speak Your Mind

*