This year the three Outstanding Graduating Seniors were Hannah Rials for Creative Writing, Katherine Sweat for Literature, and Qingyuan Guo for Rhetoric and Professional Writing. We were able to catch up with Hannah Rials regarding her experience in the English major.

What made you want to become an English Major?

I became an english major because I’ve always loved to read and write. I’ve never thought of myself of doing anything else other than writing, and it was just the natural fit for me. I never wavered in my decision, never changed my major. It was just always the right decision and place for me.

How do you feel about opting to do the internship program as opposed to a senior capstone or thesis?

I can’t really speak to the capstone or the thesis, but I loved my internship. I was the managing intern at Star Line Books, so not only did I do some writing for them and all the social media, but I learned some of the ins and outs of owning a business, and specifically a bookstore. I’ve made some great connections and had great literary opportunities thanks to my job here. I also did an internship class in high school, and that is what led to my book being published. I recommend interning for everyone if possibly. It gives you the chance to apply your knowledge and skills while also seeing if what you want to do is actually what you want to do before you’re in the “real” world.

What are the biggest things you’ve learned from your internship?

I’ve definitely improved my people skills and learning to cope with people who are demanding or rude in a civil way. I’ve learned several social media tactics, how to write better press releases, and how to keep a store running efficiently. I certainly know that I never want to own a bookstore myself, but this has been the best experience!

What are some of your proudest accomplishments while at UTC?

I started the Chattanooga Writer’s Society my sophomore year, a creative writing club for all majors, not just english majors. This past year, four of them won the Artists & Authors Scholarship, so that made me really happy.

My book Ascension was published in 2016, which was the biggest moment of my life thus far. It won the Royal Dragonfly Award for New Voice in YA, and then it won the Benjamin Franklin Gold Award in YA from the Independent Book Publisher’s Association.

Interning with Star Line Books is another of my greatest accomplishments. I’ve made a lot of connections there that will hopefully last a long time.

I worked on the Sequoya Review on the fiction editorial team and the Head of the PR Committee; I organized a bunch of events throughout the semester that promoted submissions.

My creative nonfiction piece “How to Be a Wall” was published in The Write Launch in April 2018.

http://www.hannaherials.com/

They can purchase the book at Star Line Books downtown, on amazon, and on the website. The second book, Clandestine, releases July 20th in Knoxville and July 21st in Chattanooga at Star Line Books.

semi-pro flower picker // vegetable enthusiast // pen on paper