Here’s some great information about Hover Board Safety, provided by the National Fire Protection Association. Many hover boards have been linked to fires, so NFPA urges you to be fire safe when using these devices.
If you purchase a hover board:
- Choose a device with the seal of an independent testing laboratory.
- Read and follow all manufacturer directions. If you do not understand the directions, ask for help.
- An adult should be responsible for charging the hover board.
- Do not leave a charging hover board unattended.
- Never leave the hover board plugged in overnight.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the hover board.
- Stop using your hover board if it overheats.
- Extreme hot or cold temperature can hurt the battery.
Some hover board fires have involved the lithium-ion battery or charger. Signs you could have a problem:
- Leaking fluids
- Excessive heat
If you notice any of these signs, stop using the device right away. If safe to do so, move the hover board outside away from anything that can burn. If a fire does occur, call 9-1-1.