Under the leadership of Assistant Dean Dr. Li Yang, the College launched a Distinguished Speaker Seminar Series last year. In support of CECS’ teaching, research, and service mission, the series continues in 2017-18 with Dr. Yang and Student Success Center Director Julie David bringing to the College speakers focused on innovations in research, and the development of so-called “soft skills” in the areas of communication, interviewing, time management and life skills. As a further CECS outreach commitment, the series is open to the extended community in addition to all UTC students, faculty, staff.
The 2017-18 Series launched this fall with the following “lineup” of outstanding presenters:
- September 22 ~ Dr. Paul McConnaughey, Associate Technical Director, Office of the Center Director, Marshall Space Flight Center Topic: “ The Future of Deep Space Human Exploration”
- October 2 ~ Dr. Ryan Brewer, Associate Professor of Finance Indiana University Topic: “ For Engineers, Does Career Advancement Come From Hard Skills or Soft Skills?”
- October 30 ~ Mr. John McNeely, CECS Alumnus and President/CEO and Co-Founder, Sword and Shield Enterprise Security Topic: From Classroom to Corporation: Adventures of a Tech CEO”
- November 17 ~ Dr. David Akopian, Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of Texas, San Antonio Topic: “ Indoor Positioning Advances Exploiting GPA and WLAN Infrastructures”
Two additional speakers will address audiences this term. All are invited to attend the sessions which are free and open to the public.
- December 1, 10:00 a.m. in the SimCenter Auditorium, located at 701 E. ML King Blvd., Dr. Richard Brooks, Professor of Computer Engineering, Holcombe Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Clemson University Topic: Crypto-currency Status and Future Perspectives”