The UTC English as a Second Language (ESL) Institute hosted a luncheon on December 8th, 2017 to celebrate the end of the semester. The purpose of this luncheon was to commend the hard work and accomplishments of the ESL students. All of the students worked really hard during the Fall 2017 semester to not only learn English but to also learn about the U.S. culture. It is customary for ESL students to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language Test (TOEFL) at the end of each semester. This standardized test is used to measure English proficiency for non-native speakers, and it is used as an admission criterion by U.S. universities. As is typical, this semester most of the ESL students met or exceeded their target scores. One student in particular, Jorge, met his target score that allowed him to be admitted into UTC. He will begin his journey as an undergrad student in Spring 2018. Congratulations, Jorge!
The following students were also recognized during the luncheon:
- Outstanding Academic Performance: Sana, Svetlana, Kippeum, Nami
- Outstanding TOEFL score: Karina
- ESL Volunteers (helping out at Partnerships Thrift Store): Sana, Himeko, Emishi, Juria, Nami, Sun Young
- Participation in the International Education Week Talent Show: Rafat, Kippeum
- Go Global Leadership awards: Christian, Leonard
The ESL students and faculty also had a chance to say farewell to those who would be returning to their home countries. They were able to take pictures with the UTC mascot, Scrappy. The UTC Center for Global Education would like to congratulate all of the ESL students on a wonderful semester!
Share this post: