Beginning in fall 2010, the UTC Bookstore will offer students a new textbook rental program designed to deliver maximum savings and convenience.
The program will allow students to rent their textbooks for less than 50 percent of the cost of purchasing a new printed textbook. Plus, as an added convenience, students will be able to rent their books either in the store or from the store’s website, ShopMocs.com.
The decision to offer a textbook rental program was a joint decision made by UTC and Barnes & Noble College Booksellers.
“We are committed to providing students with the widest range of content options and price points available,” said Brian Stark Vice President at Barnes & Noble College Booksellers. “Whether students are interested in new books, used, digital, unbundled, or now rentals, they know they can find what they want at the UTC Bookstore.”
Other program features include:
- Students can pay the rental fees using any form of tender currently accepted by the bookstore – including student financial aid and campus debit cards. (Note: For security purposes, a valid credit card must also be provided regardless of the tender used for the rental fee.)
- Students can highlight or mark the rented books just as they would if they purchased a book and planned to sell it back to the bookstore.
- Students can convert their rental to a purchase during the first two weeks of class.
- The rental period is for the duration of the term/semester. Books are due back at the bookstore no later than 10 days after the last day of finals. Students can return the books in person or mail them to the bookstore.
- Courtesy emails will go out as the end of the term/semester approaches reminding students to return their books. Books not returned (or returned in unusable condition) will be subject to replacement and processing fees.
Barnes & Noble began piloting their rental program earlier this year at 25 campus bookstores across the country. Response from students where the program was piloted was tremendous.
Students say they like having the option of getting their books immediately, as opposed to waiting for a shipment to arrive. They also report that they appreciate knowing the books they rent are guaranteed to be the right books for their classes. More than 90 percent of the students surveyed say they would rent from their campus bookstore again.