On Oct. 16, five members of the UTC staff jumped out of a perfectly good airplane in Jasper, Tenn. No injuries were reported, but there were a few screams heard, according to unnamed sources.
The jumpers were, from left in the photo:
- Mark Wharton, vice chancellor and director of athletics;
- Robert Dooley, dean of the Gary W. Rollins College of Business;
- Terry Denniston, UTC chief of staff;
- Chris Smith, director of the School of Nursing;
- Maj. Kevin Beavers, head of the Department of Military Science
The jump was coordinated by the Black Daggers, the official U.S. Army Special Operations command parachute demonstration team. UTC staff leapt from the plane while strapped to a member of the Black Daggers team.