This month’s “Playing 20 Questions” blog post highlights UTC CPE’s Registration Specialist, Emily Rakoczy. She shares about her love for her work environment, reading…and, of course, a LARGE cup of tea.
1. How long have you been in your role?
Almost one year!
2. What does a “day in the life” look like for you in your role?
I come in to the office, make a cup of tea, and dive into the MANY emails I always have. My number-one goal is to make sure registration goes smoothly for students enrolling in our courses and to answer any questions potential students may have.
3. What do you enjoy most about working at CPE?
I have never worked in a department before where my coworkers are as friendly and supportive as they are at CPE. 😊
4. What motivates you to get up and go to work every morning?
I am able to help individuals start their journeys toward new careers.
5. What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned while in your role at CPE?
Paying attention to detail and taking adequate time for each task at hand is more important than trying to speed through everything on a to-do list.
6. What is your favorite project or a memorable moment you’ve had while working at CPE?
I was very excited the first time I was able to come in to work without wearing a mask and to see everyone’s faces!
7. In one sentence, how would you define true leadership?
True leadership is doing the right thing even if it isn’t the easiest thing.
8. What is a professional motto or quote you “work” by?
“You need to slow down to speed up.”
9. Why do you believe continuous education and training are important for professionals?
Continuous education provides opportunities and pathways that allow people to explore alternative careers and/or pursue additional certifications. Ultimately, continuous learning helps individuals reach their professional goals.
10. List five adjectives that describe your personality.
Nerdy. Creative. Outdoorsy. Resourceful. Reliable.
11. What’s a fun fact about you that would surprise people?
I’m an identical twin!
12. What do you like to do when you aren’t in the office?
I LOVE reading. Currently I am reading The Wild Remedy and The Tao of Pooh, but I am always reading something! Also, I have discovered a love for puzzles since the pandemic began.
13. What’s your current (or favorite) Netflix binge?
Parks and Recreation!
14. Tell us your favorite concert you’ve ever been to (or wish you could have gone to).
I wish I could have seen Tom Petty live.
15. Coffee or tea?
TEA. My favorite is black tea in the morning and Tao’s Passion Tea in the afternoon.
16. As a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A dolphin trainer!
17. If you could meet one person, dead or alive, to grab coffee with, who would it be and why?
Author J.K. Rowling. Her books have been a large part of my life, and I would love to hear the whole story behind her incredible journey.
18. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
19. What activities would you recommend to a tourist coming to visit Chattanooga?
Go get some ice cream at Clumpies. You won’t regret it! (I recommend the thin mint ice cream. It’s seasonal, so they don’t always have it. However, if you’re lucky enough to try it, it’s amazing).
20. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I am currently pursuing an Ed.S degree in School Psychology at UTC. I hope to be working at an elementary school helping kiddos have positive school experiences.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Marah Whitaker (think Laura with an M) serves as the marketing assistant for the UTC Center for Professional Education. During the workday, she spends time writing blog posts, creating content for social media, developing email campaigns, and building relationships with CPE’s customer base. During her free time, you can find her getting lost in a good book, having spontaneous dance parties, playing piano, and going to Buffalo Wild Wings on Wing Night. Professionally and personally, she aspires to live by Mr. Feeny’s advice, “Dream. Believe. Try. Do Good.” She strives to use her passions to serve others and contribute positively to the world around her.
Connect with Marah on LinkedIn.