Meet Diane Perkins, CPE’s Finance Specialist! Whether she is tracking finances or sharing fun facts about her New Orleans background, Diane is a great asset to the CPE Office.
1. How long have you been in your role?
I have been CPE’s Finance Specialist for over one year. Previously, I held other roles in CPE and have been at UTC for a total of three years!
2. What does a “day in the life” look like for you in your role?
I have various finance-related tasks I work on, such as entering invoices to be paid and reconciling credit cards and ledgers. I also help with other office tasks such as processing new hire applications, ordering supplies for the office and classrooms, and answering phones.
3. What do you enjoy most about working at CPE?
I enjoy that the office is mission-minded, and we get to play a role in helping people improve their current job or find a new career. I also enjoy working with the other CPE staff members.
4. What motivates you to get up and go to work every morning?
I have a strong sense of responsibility for my work and the part it plays in the functioning of our office.
5. What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned while in your role at CPE?
Everyone has a unique way of looking at or solving a problem, and all of the ways have merit.
6. What is your favorite project or a memorable moment you’ve had while working at CPE?
I always enjoy working on our annual Advanced Placement Summer Institute (APSI) where teachers from all over the world connect with UTC for AP instructional training.
7. In one sentence, how would you define true leadership?
True leaders lead by example and give the people they are leading a chance to discover answers for themselves.
8. What is a professional motto or quote you “work” by?
“There is no such thing as ‘not in my job description’.”
9. Why do you believe continuous education and training are important for individuals?
Continuing education (and CPE, in particular) helps people keep the good jobs they have and improve those jobs with certifications. Or, training can help change someone’s life completely as they pursue a new career path. I love seeing individuals become more self-sufficient and confident in their work.
10. List five adjectives that describe your personality.
Caring. Helpful. Loyal. Trustworthy. Empathetic.
11. If you could live in any other historical period, what would it be and why?
Colonial times. People may have had to work harder since there was less technology, but I appreciate that those were simpler times.
12. What’s a fun fact about you that would surprise people?
I have decorated cakes for 43 years by request for family and friends.
13. What do you like to do when you aren’t in the office?
I enjoy creating diamond art and going to the movies.
14. What is one food you can’t resist?
Chips and dip!
15. If you could be on any game show, what would it be?
Wheel of Fortune.
16. If you could meet one person, dead or alive, to grab coffee with, who would it be and why?
Jon Bon Jovi! I am a huge fan of his music.
17. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever traveled to?
Grand Cayman. It’s beautiful.
18. What sports team do you cheer on the loudest?
The New Orleans Saints. Unfortunately, they need all the help and encouragement they can get!
19. Dog or cat person?
Both. My dog is Gizmo, and my cats are Murphy, Luna, Eevee, Stormy, and Midnight.
20. What is the life accomplishment you’re most proud of?
I am proud of myself for completing my bachelor’s degree in business administration.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Marah Whitaker (think Laura with an M) serves as the marketing assistant for the UTC Center for Professional Education. During the workday, she spends time writing blog posts, creating content for social media, developing email campaigns, and building relationships with CPE’s customer base. During her free time, you can find her getting lost in a good book, having spontaneous dance parties, playing piano, and going to Buffalo Wild Wings on Wing Night. Professionally and personally, she aspires to live by Mr. Feeny’s advice, “Dream. Believe. Try. Do Good.” She strives to use her passions to serve others and contribute positively to the world around her.
Connect with Marah on LinkedIn.